Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Crazy Tv Dinner Idea

OK, so my husband and I are going on vacation at the end of the month and last week we were brainstorming on ways we could save a little more money. One of his ideas was to eat TV dinners for the next few weeks instead of spending a bunch of money and cooking every night. At first I laughed! But when all else failed as far as where to cut back on expenses groceries was honestly the only way to go about it. So once I put some serious consideration into it, I had an idea. Instead of just TV dinners, which are not so healthy little alone very filling I would buy TV dinners and then "add something" to them for each night. I chose to go with the Banquet dinners, because not only do they offer the widest variety but they are also the cheapest, at about $1.00 per meal. Banquet is also rather low on the calorie side compared to a few of the other brands. So we needed 18 days of meals which is 36 dinners. As well as the extra sides and dessert! I plan on doing a blog for every TV dinner I "enhance" over the next 2 weeks starting today. However, I want to add here that my total came up to about $128  after I bought the dinners and extras. This is feeding us for a month, starting from June 6th which is when I bought groceries and we will be leaving for vacation on July 2nd. - I also had 8 days worth of food saved up from the previous week so that is why it is only 18 days instead 26. This is good for us at $128 for a month because usually we buy groceries every 2 weeks and the total is never under $250! So we would regularly spend $500 a month and this time only $128 saved us almost $380 which will pay for our food on our trip! The store also had a limited variety so I had to get several of the same meals for more than one night, so my plan is to use the TV dinners until we are repeating the ones we had and I will cook a normal meal, then start over with the TV dinners. So let's get started! My next blog will be on tonight's first dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment